A Passion for Snacking
A $2 Billion Hostess Success Story
Growing Hostess to a $2+ billion company in a matter of years was anchored in a strategic marketing vision. All efforts were built around THREE STRATEGIC PILLARS:
1. REGAIN SHELF SPACE
2. EVOLVE AND AGE DOWN THE AUDIENCE
3. MAKE THE BRAND RELEVANT
Finding the Sweet Spot
Hostess Snacks’ main audience was the Grocery Store buying in multi-pack. But to achieve landmark sales, we knew we also had to talk with c-store shoppers and Millennials buying single packs.
The winning formula hit the Sweet Spot – resulting in very different channel and messaging strategies across the highly coveted audience.
Giving Moms a Reason to Buy Hostess
31x Lower CPMs For Social Broadcast than National TV
“WIN THE SEASON” THRU RECIPE VIDEOS
BR fueled growth by developing connection campaigns beyond the traditional network TV approach. The team challenge drove relevancy and appetite for Hostess core products.
The idea was simple and sweet: Join the social recipe video trend. Hostess "won the season" through social broadcast campaigns by connecting with Millennial and Gen X parents.
- Garnered over 10MM views and a CPM of $1.40 across Facebook and Instagram.
- Average cost per view (CPV) just $0.01 with campaigns as low as $0.003.
- Generated more than 60,000 social shares
- 100% completion rate on Instagram and a 63% rate on Facebook.
Old Brand, New Voice
Hostess @ SXSW
183% increase over campaign goal
DELIVER EXCLUSIVE CONTENT TO DEMAND EVENTS
In a continued effort to connect with an aspirational target and break into more conversations, BR leveraged event activations and elite influencers. Through activations at SXSW Music Festival, we connected consumers with the brand more deeply than simply snacking. Inserting Hostess into the conversation surrounding a festival like SXSW helped age down the audience of Hostess fans.
CONTENT TO HIGHLIGHT:
1. HOSTESS SOCIAL
2. MEGAN BATOON POSTS
3. BUCKING TWINKIE BOOTH
The SXSW booth provided a platform for using an elite influencer to heighten awareness of the campaigns. This put Hostess in front of a well-known personality while reducing negative chatter.
- Drove engagement at a fraction of the cost of other brands at SXSW
- 183% increase over goal in campaign reach
- Garnered 1MM video views w/ younger aspirational target
- Shifted the conversation to all positive
Leverage Partner Equity
183% Above Campaign Goal
Bernstein-Rein leveraged partner brands’ equity to extend positive reach. With partner brands like Minions, Ghostbusters, Mars Candies and Carl’s Jr., Bernstein-Rein made Hostess top of mind for consumers outside its immediate reach.
BR created billboards placed in Times Square in the Ghostbusters trailer. This led to Hostess stealing share of voice from all other brands featured in the trailer. Buzzfeed and other news outlets picked up the Hostess billboard as a potential Easter egg as a nod to the Twinkie mention in the original Ghostbusters movie.
Through partnerships with the Minions franchise and AMC Theatres, BR took advantage of the visual similarities between Twinkies and Minions and capitalize on the Minions’ fan base.
THIRD PARTY ENDORSERS
2. IRI 2016 STATE OF SNACK FOOD INDUSTRY
- IRi 2016 State of the Snack Food Industry – sited Hostess Snacks as one of top brands in movie-themed innovations
- Tens of millions of impressions (owned, earned, paid) generated through partnerships
- Cross-promoted posts with AMC Theatres drove some of the highest engagement Hostess saw in 2015.